Cathedral
2013






Created for

Cathedral Personal environment project for an application

Created in

September 2013

Software used

  • 3Ds Max
  • Unity 3D
  • Photoshop

About

 
I started working on this piece of Environment prior to my Application at CD Projekt Red back in September 2013. I never finished it, since I started working there as an Environment Intern about a week later.

I decided to create a complex game asset in order to sharpen my modular modelling, sculpting and texturing skills. I based my work on a concept I found online which itself is loosely based on the National History Museum in London. As a result, I worked mainly with photographs of the original building to build the base geometry of the scene. Later I would destroy those parts of the building accordingly to the desired degree of the concept art.

Originally, I was developing this environment for the RedEngine 2 and was planning to put it together in the game engine. Since I stopped working on this project after I got hired and I learned quite a lot of new techniques during that time, in the end, I felt like I should start on another project using my newly gained experience, rather then finishing this old piece.

 
 
 
 

Almost finished version of the intact building. From here, I use these intact and clean parts to create destroyed versions of them.
These are all quick renderings out of the max scene.
These are all quick renderings out of the max scene.
These are all quick renderings out of the max scene.
These are all quick renderings out of the max scene.
Quick out-of-viewport screenshot with wire frame view activated.
The pieces are as modular as you can get, being reused as instances for this phase of the blockout.
A photograph of the original building, which the concept is based on. This and similar pictures are what I worked with the most while creating the main geometry and layout of the building.
The original concept that I found online. It shows the ruins of a building inspired by the National History Museum in London.